For Pest Control Services

Phones answered 24/7

Serving CT & Western MA

Protect Your Pets From Pesticides

Animals are naturally curious so anytime pesticides are applied around your home, they may want to go check it out. Due to cats grooming habits, they are more likely to ingest pesticides that they have walked through. And because dogs use their nose to check out their surroundings, they may absorb chemicals through their nose. There are several ways to make sure you keep your pets safe when applying pesticides around the home.

black cat and brown dog laying next to each other

Before Applying a Pesticide

  • Make sure pets are removed from the area and kept in a closed room, garage, pet carrier or kennel prior to treatment. And be sure to check with technician to find out how long they should remain away from the chemical to be safe.
  • Remove all chew toys, ropes, bones, food and water bowls and bedding and store in a safe area.
  • Cover or remove fish tanks to ensure that liquids and vapors do not enter the tank. Turn off the tank’s filtration system if foggers will be used. Take similar precautions for reptiles, birds, hamsters and other small pets. 
  • If your yard or soil is being treated, make sure to keep pets off the treated areas until the chemical is dry.
  • If a rat or mouse bait will be used, talk to your technician about placing the baits in locations that are not accessible to your pets. 
  • Secondary poisoning may occur if an animal catches and eats a smaller animal who has ingested poison. Mice are small bodied creatures and generally will not have enough bait in their system to harm most household pets through secondary poisoning. The average household dog would most likely have to consume a large number of poisoned rodent bodies to be impacted. Always contact your veterinarian if you are concerned about the health of your pet. Provide the label for the rodenticide in use if you contact your veterinarian.

Other Things to Consider

  • Consider calling your veterinarian if you have concerns about whether or not your pet should leave the home during the treatment. 
  • Make sure to store any over the counter pesticides you have at home safely out of reach of children and pets. Always read the labels for important instructions regarding proper use and storage
  • If you think your pet has been exposed to a pesticide, contact your veterinarian or an emergency animal hospital immediately.

For natural methods of repelling pests, ask about our exclusion services. The Richland team is always happy to explain our process, what chemicals are used and any potential risks to your pets. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out.

About Us

Richland Pest and Bee Control was established in 1977. We have one of the longest running businesses for pest control in CT. Richland Pest and Bee Control is a full-service professional Connecticut pest control company and bee removal service licensed by the State of Connecticut in various pest control categories.

Read More

Post Views: 28